Why become a member of the NLG-SFBA
Membership in the National Lawyers Guild – San Francisco Bay Area Chapter is open to attorneys, law students, legal workers (volunteer OR employed), and jailhouse lawyers. If you are not an attorney, law student, or legal worker; and/or if you are part of an organization which partners with the NLG-SFBA, please consider becoming a Friend of the Guild by making a contribution.
As a member of NLG-SFBA, you will receive the following benefits:
- Discounted rates on local and national CLE programming such as the annual Law for the People Convention;
- Subscription to local and national publications, such as our monthly online newsletter, Guild Notes, and NLG Review; as well as eligibility to submit articles;
- Invitations to members-only events and content (e.g. webinars, organizing tools, and other resources);
- Access to conversations on member-only email lists for NLG-SFBA committees and programs;
- Eligibility to vote in local and national Guild elections, run for elected office, and propose organizational resolutions;
- Eligibility to apply for fellowships offered through the NLG National Office;
- Media exposure and institutional support for your Guild-related work;
- Developing connections with a community of advocates and legal professionals
Paying Your Membership Dues
Sliding Scale Policy: the NLG relies on membership dues to sustain our operations, and we count on those who can afford to pay higher amounts to help offset the costs of membership for those who cannot. Nevertheless our membership rates are suggested, sliding scale amounts, as we strive to make participation in the Guild as accessible as possible to all legal practitioners who share our mission, regardless of income. Members may also request a dues waiver according to the instructions below.
The following forms of membership are available:
- Individual membership, annual or quarterly: Individuals paying annual dues over $500 are considered “sustainer members” and are acknowledged at the chapter’s annual Testimonial Dinner. Use this form to register for an individual membership.
- Law firm membership, annual: access Guild membership through your firm, which pays dues on behalf of staff according to the chapter’s dues schedule. Sustaining firms are acknowledged at the chapter’s annual Testimonial Dinner. Please see the Law Firm Membership Form to pay dues for your firm.
If you have any questions about becoming a member of the NLGSF, please contact our Membership Coordinator at email@example.com, or (415) 285-5067 Ext 2.
SUGGESTED DUES SCHEDULE – San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
- Legal Observer Member: $10-25
- Legal Worker Member: $10-65
- Law Student/Recent Law Grads: $25-50
- New Attorney Member: $50
- Attorney Member: $50+
- Income under 30K: $50-100
- Income 30-50K - $100-200
- Income 50-70K - $200-300
- Income 70-100K - $300-500
- Income 100-200K - $500-600
- Income over 200K - $600-800
- Retired: $25-800
- Sustainer Member: $750 or above